Thursday, April 17, 2008

Gratitude in The Face of Adversity

Every morning we have a choice to listen to doom and gloom or read about terror and hardship. When I choose to hear what is going on around me, I use different listening skills than I use for normal conversation. I put on the heavy filter for sensationalism and negativity. I listen (or read) with my mind wide open to receive the vital pieces of information that affect my life and the lives of those I love.

Then I seek out something to be grateful for.

Recently a neighbor of 80+ years old found out she has leukemia. I am saddened by her situation and continue to pray for her to have the strength she needs to face whatever is ahead of her. However, I am grateful that I met her years ago and have had many pleasant conversations about gardening, friendship and life. I am grateful that she has lived this long without many health issues. I am grateful she has family that loves her and is gathered around to give her the support she needs. I am grateful that several neighbors keep in touch about each other in case someone is in need.

Life always presents us with challenges we need to grow stronger. For this I am learning to be grateful.

1 comment:

Wacky Wom said...

I really enjoy your writing. I believe that you and I have similar perspectives on life. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and inspirations with others.

Ever heard of a Wacky Wom?