Monday, April 14, 2008

Taxes and Gratitude Attiude

Taxes are due tomorrow for those of us in the US. This time of year, if you choose to listen, there are many people grumbling about having to pay taxes. I choose not to be one of them. Here's why:

I vote for the people who enact and repeal tax legislation.
I choose whether or not to question what I pay.
I choose to find legal alternatives to paying higher taxes.
I am grateful that I have government services such as emergency aid (ambulance, fire, police).
If there are others that need government supported programs such as battered women, families needing emergency shelter, etc. I am happy I have contributed to those funds through tax dollars.

When I am not satisfied with how a government program is run, I can choose whether or not to get involved in facilitating change.

I have not found grumbling to be useful myself. I either focus on what I can do to change things or I focus on other causes or programs that do a better job at changing the problem.

No comments: