Tuesday, April 7, 2009

The Gift of Silence

The saying goes, "March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb." This year Mother Nature seems to have a different idea- Strong winds through the end of March and into April. It is as if we need more than one breathe of fresh air.

In the midst of these fierce winds, I have found a place where the world begins to make sense. That place is within the silence surrounding the noise of life. Sitting quietly, I listen to the pitch of the wind as it howls and surrounds the house. High and low, it sings a song of renewal and hope. Some hear desperation and disaster in the song. I, too, began that way. I found that the more I listen, the more peace I hear. It's like learning to pick out individual instruments as you listen to an orchestra play a beautifully stirring piece from the great masters.

I invite you listen for the silence in your day. The silence that plays just under the most quiet of disturbances, such as traffic noises from the higway several blocks away or the distant crying of a baby animal just brought into the world.

It is in this silence that I find true peace within my soul. A gift to be grateful for in such a noisey world.

Coach Renee

No comments: